Date of Birth: March 19, 1946
Ordination to Priesthood: May 20, 1972
Ordination to Episcopacy: March 1, 2000
Installation as 11th Bishop of Portland, Maine: March 31, 2004
Appointed 14th Bishop of Buffalo: May 29, 2012
Installation as 14th bishop of Buffalo: Aug. 10, 2012
Appointed apostolic administrator, Diocese of Portland: Aug. 10, 2012 (tenure ended Feb. 14, 2014)
A.B., B.D., M.Th. Saint John Seminary; Boston, Mass.
S.T.L. Weston Jesuit School of Theology; Cambridge, Mass.
Th.D. Boston University; Boston, Mass.
D.D., St. Joseph’s College of Maine, 2007
L.H.D., Canisius College, 2013
L.L.D., Niagara University, 2013
L.H.D., Christ the King Seminary, 2014
L.H.D., D’Youville College, 2014
1972-74 Associate Pastor, Saint Patrick Parish; Stoneham, Mass.
1974-76 Voluntary leave of absence from parish ministry
1974 Faculty, St. Clement High School, Somerville, Mass.
1976-79 Faculty, Xaverian Brothers High School, Westwood, Mass.
1979-90 Faculty, Saint John Seminary; Brighton, Mass.
1990-93 Chaplain, Harvard Catholic Student Center; Cambridge, Mass.
1993-98 Associate director for Jewish-Catholic Relations, Office for Ecumenical and Interreligious Affairs, Archdiocese of Boston
1993-2000 Director of Religious Education, Archdiocese of Boston
1995-2000 Secretary for Education, Archdiocese of Boston
2000-2004 Auxiliary of Boston, South Region
2004-2012 Bishop of Portland, Maine
2012-2014 Apostolic Administrator, Diocese of Portland
2012-present Bishop of Buffalo
Boards and Committees
• Episcopal Advisor, National Conference for Catechetical Leadership, (2001-2007)
• Advisory Forum for the Center for Catechetical Initiatives, University of Notre Dame (2003-present)
• International Chaplain, Daughters of Isabella (2004-2008)
• Board of Trustees of Pope St. John XXIII National Seminary (2005-present)
• Chairperson of Ad Hoc Committee to Prepare the Special USCCB Assembly (2007)
• USCCB Committee on Evangelization (2002-2008)
• President of Corporation of NECDDRE (New England Conference of Diocesan Directors of religious Education) (2004-2012)
• USCCB Committee on Catechesis (2002-2008)
• USCCB Committee on Laity (2005-2008)
• USCCB Bishops’ Committee for the Protection of Children and Young People – Region I Representative (2006–2011)
• USCCB Task Force on Safe Environment Training (2006–2008)
• USCCB Communications Committee (2006–2008)
• Board of Directors, St. Mary’s Seminary Baltimore (2007-present)
• USCCB Committee on Evangelization and Catechesis, chairman (2008-2011); member (2003-present)
• St. Joseph’s College of Maine, Board of Trustees (2008-2012)
• Catholic Relief Services, Board of Directors (2009-present)
• Catholic Scripture Study International, Advisory Board (2010-present)
• USCCB Task Force to Review the National Collections (2011-2012)
• USCCB Ad Hoc Committee for Religious Liberty, consultant
• USCCB Executive Committee, member (2014-present)
Equestrian Order of the Holy Sepulchre of Jerusalem, Knight Commander with Star
Knights of Columbus, Fourth Degree member
Knights of St. John International, Brigadier General