Date of Birth: March 19, 1946
Ordination to Priesthood: May 20, 1972
Ordination to Episcopacy: March 1, 2000
Installation as 11th Bishop of Portland, Maine: March 31, 2004
Appointed 14th Bishop of Buffalo: May 29, 2012
Installation as 14th bishop of Buffalo: Aug. 10, 2012
Appointed apostolic administrator, Diocese of Portland: Aug. 10, 2012 (tenure ended Feb. 14, 2014)
A.B., B.D., M.Th. Saint John Seminary; Boston, Mass.
S.T.L. Weston Jesuit School of Theology; Cambridge, Mass.
Th.D. Boston University; Boston, Mass.
1972 Associate Pastor, Saint Patrick Parish; Stoneham, Mass.
1974 Voluntary leave of absence from parish ministry
1974 Faculty, St. Clement High School, Somerville, Mass.
1976 Faculty, Xaverian Brothers High School, Westwood, Mass.
1979 Faculty, Saint John Seminary; Brighton, Mass.
1990 Chaplain, Harvard Catholic Student Center; Cambridge, Mass.
1993 Director of Religious Education, Archdiocese of Boston
1995 Secretary for Education, Archdiocese of Boston
2000 Auxiliary of Boston, South Region
2004 Bishop of Portland, Maine
2012 Bishop of Buffalo
2012 Apostolic Administrator, Diocese of Portland
Boards and Committees
• Associate Director for Jewish-Catholic Relations, Office for Ecumenical and Interreligious Affairs, Archdiocese of Boston
• Episcopal Advisor, National Conference for Catechetical Leadership, 2001-2007
• Advisory Forum for the Center for Catechetical Initiatives, University of Notre Dame
• International Chaplain, Daughters of Isabella (August 2004 - August 2008)
• Board of Trustees of Blessed John XXIII National Seminary (April 2005 to present)
• USCCB Region One Contact Person (November 2004 - 2006)
• Chairperson of Ad Hoc Committee to Prepare the Special USCCB Assembly for 2007
• USCCB Committee on Evangelization (November 2002-2008)
• President of Corporation of NECDDRE (New England Conference of Diocesan Directors of religious Education) – June 2004 to present
• USCCB Committee on Catechesis (November 2002 - 2008)
• USCCB Committee on Laity (November 2005-2008)
• USCCB Bishops’ Committee for the Protection of Children and Young People – Region I Representative (January 2006 – 2011)
• USCCB Task Force on Safe Environment Training (May 2006 – 2008)
• USCCB Communications Committee, (November 2006 – 2008)
• Board of Directors, St. Mary’s Seminary Baltimore (January 2007 to present)
• Board of Advisors of Cheverus High School, Portland, Maine (2007 to 2012)
• USCCB Committee on Evangelization and Catechesis: chair-elect for one year then chair; three-year term November 2008 to 2011; member for another term starting 2011
• Episcopal Advisory Board for Catholic Radio Association (November 2007 to present)
• Member of the Board of Trustees of St. Joseph College, Standish, Maine (May 2008 to 2012)
• Board of Directors for Catholic Relief Services – (November 2009 to present)
• Advisory Board for Catholic Scripture Study International (July 2010 to present)
• Chairman of the Board, Chirst the King Seminary (August 2012 to present)
• USCCB Task Force to Review the National Collections (November 2011 to present)
• USCCB Committee on Laity, Marriage, Family Life and Youth, Chairman (November 2013 to present)
• Knight Commander of the Equestrian Order of the Holy Sepulchre of Jerusalem, September 18, 2000
• Fourth Degree Knights of Columbus (June 3, 2006)