Date of Birth: March 19, 1946
Ordination to Priesthood: May 20, 1972
Ordination to Episcopacy: March 1, 2000
Installation as 11th Bishop of Portland, Maine: March 31, 2004
Appointed 14th Bishop of Buffalo: May 29, 2012
Installation as 14th bishop of Buffalo: Aug. 10, 2012
Appointed apostolic administrator, Diocese of Portland: Aug. 10, 2012 (tenure ended Feb. 14, 2014)
A.B., B.D., M.Th. Saint John Seminary; Boston, Mass.
S.T.L. Weston Jesuit School of Theology; Cambridge, Mass.
Th.D. Boston University; Boston, Mass.
D.D., St. Joseph’s College of Maine, 2007
L.H.D., Canisius College, 2013
L.L.D., Niagara University, 2013
L.H.D., Christ the King Seminary, 2014
L.H.D., D’Youville College, 2014
1972-74 Associate Pastor, Saint Patrick Parish; Stoneham, Mass.
1974-76 Voluntary leave of absence from parish ministry
1974 Faculty, St. Clement High School, Somerville, Mass.
1976-79 Faculty, Xaverian Brothers High School, Westwood, Mass.
1979-90 Faculty, Saint John Seminary; Brighton, Mass.
1990-93 Chaplain, Harvard Catholic Student Center; Cambridge, Mass.
1993-98 Associate director for Jewish-Catholic Relations, Office for Ecumenical and Interreligious Affairs, Archdiocese of Boston
1993-2000 Director of Religious Education, Archdiocese of Boston
1995-2000 Secretary for Education, Archdiocese of Boston
2000-2004 Auxiliary of Boston, South Region
2004-2012 Bishop of Portland, Maine
2012-2014 Apostolic Administrator, Diocese of Portland
2012-present Bishop of Buffalo
Boards and Committees
• Episcopal Advisor, National Conference for Catechetical Leadership, (2001-2007)
• Advisory Forum for the Center for Catechetical Initiatives, University of Notre Dame (2003-present)
• International Chaplain, Daughters of Isabella (2004-2008)
• Board of Trustees of Pope St. John XXIII National Seminary (2005-2014)
• Chairperson of Ad Hoc Committee to Prepare the Special USCCB Assembly (2007)
• USCCB Committee on Evangelization (2002-2008)
• President of Corporation of NECDDRE (New England Conference of Diocesan Directors of religious Education) (2004-2012)
• USCCB Committee on Catechesis (2002-2008)
• USCCB Committee on Laity (2005-2008)
• USCCB Bishops’ Committee for the Protection of Children and Young People – Region I Representative (2006–2011)
• USCCB Task Force on Safe Environment Training (2006–2008)
• USCCB Communications Committee (2006–2008)
• Board of Directors, St. Mary’s Seminary Baltimore (2007-present)
• USCCB Committee on Evangelization and Catechesis, chairman (2008-2011); member (2003-present)
• St. Joseph’s College of Maine, Board of Trustees (2008-2012)
• Catholic Relief Services, Board of Directors (2009-present)
• Catholic Scripture Study International, Advisory Board (2010-present)
• USCCB Task Force to Review the National Collections (2011-2012)
• USCCB Ad Hoc Committee for Religious Liberty, consultant (2014-present)
• USCCB Executive Committee, member (2014-present)
Equestrian Order of the Holy Sepulchre of Jerusalem, Knight Commander with Star
Knights of Columbus, Fourth Degree member
Knights of St. John International, Brigadier General
F. Sadlier Dinger Award, 2008
C. Albert Koob, O.Praem. Merit Award, NCEA, 2009