FOR YOUR FAMILY: LENT 2016
For Your Family: Lent 2016. Lent is an opportunity to reflect on the quality of our relationships with God and each other. To that end please consider attending For Your Family: Lent 2016 at St. Joseph University Church, 3269 Main St., Buffalo, NY 14214 (next to UB Main Street campus). Based on the principles of Family Systems Theory, For Your Family: Lent 2016 is designed to strengthen your relationships with family, colleagues and friends. The four-part lecture series is scheduled from 7:00 to 8:00 PM on the following Monday evenings: February 22 and 29, March 7 and 14, 2016 from 7:00 to 8:00 PM followed by an optional 30 minute Q&A. Come to just one or come to all four of the presentations. The speaker is the Rev. Dr. Robert J. Perelli, founder of The Center for Family Systems Theory, Inc. For more information visit www.familysystemstheory.org, click on the “Training” tab and scroll down. Everyone is welcomed. Bring a friend.
1st LENTEN SPIRITUAL
A Lenten Retreat for Catholic MOMS will be held on March 18th at Christ the King Seminary, 711 Knox Road in East Aurora beginning at 2pm. The topic for this Lenten spiritual retreat is Mercy Matters. You can attend retreat events anytime between 2 and 9pm. For information, tickets and reservations call or text Dawn 716 207-5172 or email email@example.com for visit: www.stgregs.org/ministries.
NATURAL FAMILY PLANNING provides couples a safe effective means to achieve or avoid pregnancy and gain understanding of their gift of fertility. The NFP Family Network of Buffalo offers support and fellowship to couples in the teachings of the Catholic faith, specifically in the areas of marriage, family and LinkClick.aspx openness to life. The group sponsors couples nights out, theology-enrichment meetings, marriage enrichment evenings and family events. For more information, please contact the Network at firstname.lastname@example.org. For information regarding introductory sessions, contact Catholic Fertility Care Centers of WNY at Sister’s Hospital – 716 862-1944, Mercy Hospital – 716 828-2438 or Mt. St. Mary ’s Hospital in Lewiston – 716 298-2385.
Catholic Fertility Care Centers of WNY Introductory Session Schedule for 2016.
Sisters of Charity Hospital, 2121 Main Street, Buffalo, NY 14214. 716 862-1944.
Saturday mornings at 10:30 am. 2016 January 23, February 27, March 19, April 23, May 14, June 18, July 23, August 27, September 24, October 22 and November 12, 2016.
Buffalo Mercy Hospital, 565 Abbott Road, Buffalo, NY 14220. 716 828-2493.
Tuesday evenings at 7:00 pm. 2016 January 12, February 16, March 8, April 12, May 3, June 7, July 12, August 16, September 13, October 4 and November 29, 2016.
Mt. St. Mary's Hospital, 5300 Military Rd., Lewiston, NY 14092. 716 298-2385 or 716 298-2296.
Wednesday evenings @ 7:00 pm. 2016 January 20, February 17, March 16, April 20, May 18, June 15, July 20, August 17, September 21, October 19 and November 16. 2016.
** Pre-Registration is required at all locations**
BISHOP COMMITTEE FOR CHRISTIAN HOME & FAMILY
This program assists parents in the religious and moral training of their pre-school children. As part of the pre-baptismal class or at the baptism itself, free educational materials are given to the parents by a Visitor. Visitors meet twice yearly for updating, mutual support, liturgy, sharing and a Day of Reflection. The Bishop offers his encouragement and thanksgiving for this valuable ministry in the Diocese of Buffalo. - click here for Bishop Committee Visitor's Programs Brochure.
Bishop's Committee Visitors Brown Bag lunch, Thursday May 12, 2016 at St. Philip the Apostle, 950 Losson Road, Cheektowaga, NY 14227. Time - 9 am to 2:00 pm.
- Bishop's Committee Visitors Annual Meeting and Luncheon with Bishop Richard J. Malone, October 8, 2015 at St. Philip the Apostle, 950 Losson Road, Cheektowaga, NY 14227. Time - 9 am to 2:00 pm. Cheryl Clalire, Director of Pro-Life Activities, Project Rachel Ministry and Sidewalk Advocates for Life will be the speaker. For more information and reservations call your Office of Family Life Ministries at 716 847-2210. click here for BCVP Invitation to Bishops Luncheon
CATHOLIC WOMEN'S DISCUSSION PROGRAM (CWDP) Formerly known as the Bishop's Committee Discussion Program.
BCDP is open to persons of all faith traditions. It is a discussion group that meets once a month from October – May. Meetings are facilitated by trained leaders and each meeting centers on a topic of a spiritual nature. This encourages personal growth; offers support; strengthens one’s faith and fosters the sharing of ideas and feelings all from a Catholic/Christian perspective. Sharing takes place in an accepting/confidential environment. Brochure and/or facilitator training are available. For more information, contact your Office of Family Life Ministries at 716 847-2210 or e-mail us at email@example.com. - click here for Catholic Women's Discussion Program Brochure.
MAGNIFICAT: A Ministry to Catholic Women. Gentle Woman, Mother of Mercy Chapter, Buffalo , New York. An International ministry to Catholic women. It’s purpose is to help Catholic women open more to the Holy Spirit through a commitment of their lives to Jesus Christ and to impart the Holy Spirit to one another by love, service and good news of salvation. It is an opportunity to grow in holiness. For more information on Magnificat contact Evelyn Morcelle, Coordinator at 716 652-2286.
Magnificat, A Ministry to Catholic Women, presents a morning of prayer, testimony and praise! Join Magnificat-Buffalo on Saturday, March 19, 2016! Guest speaker ... Mary Kay Schaub. Mary Kay grew up in a Catholic home and always had a love for God, but in her early 20's she experienced the Baptism of the Holy Spirit which energized her faith, strengthened her commitment to the Church, and gave her a lasting peace and joy that accompanies her through her life. Please join us as Mary Kay shares why the baptism in the Holy Spirit is so very necessary for us to live the Christian life and stand up to the enemy of our souls. We will learn how the Holy Spirit is faithful in teaching us what we need to know in this life. Don't miss this opportunity!
DATE: Saturday March 19, 2016.
PLACE: HOLIDAY INN - Airport, 4600 Genesee Street, Cheektowaga, NY.
Registration begins at 9:30 am: program begins at 10:00 am ends at 12:30 pm. Cost $15.00.
Prepaid Reservations only, by March 11th. ($20.00 after deadline)
CHECKS PAYABLE TO:
MAGNIFICAT -BUFFALO, c/o Ellie Worley, 190 Ridgewood Drive, Snyder, NY 14226 phone number 716 425-4335.
St. Gregory the Great M.O.M.S. (Ministry of Mothers Sharing) Group. A ministry designed for moms by moms to support and affirm women in the many roles of life as mothers, wives, daughters, sisters and friends e.g. women bonded by their vocation and their Catholic faith gathering to share joys and struggles. Open meetings are monthly from September to May. Free child care is available. Also available is a MOMS Book Club. All moms are welcome to participate in all gatherings each month. For more information please contact Dawn Iacono at 716 207-5172 or firstname.lastname@example.org. The meetings for 2016 are January 22, February 11, April 8 and May 6 at 9:00 am to 11:00 am in the Gathering Room.
NFC Moms Group (Niagara Falls Catholic Moms Group)
Moms of all ages and stages are invited to join us monthly to take a break, enjoy a cup of coffee, listen to a great speaker, talk to other moms and grow in your Faith. Free childcare is available. Meetings are held from 9:30 am to 11 am in the St. Vincent De Paul Parish Ministry Center, 2748 Military Road, Niagara Falls. We meet on the second Saturday of every month. The meetings for 2014 are January 11, February 8, March 8, April TBA, May 10 and June 14. Contact Sarah at 716 957-2410 for more information.
SS Peter & Paul Moms Group (Williamsville) 2016 Schedule January to May 2016. All moms, grandmoms and godmothers are welcome to SSPP MOMS! SSPP MOMS can increase your faith, strengthen your friendships with wonderful Catholic women, and give you an excuse to get out of the house to enjoy a glass of wine! For more information contact: Rose Quebral at 716 635-9488 / email@example.com, Kim Adamczyk at firstname.lastname@example.org or Katie Amrhein at email@example.com. The meetings for 2016 Wednesday February 3rd at 7-8:30pm, Friday February 26th at 7pm, Sunday April 3rd following the 9:30 Mass, Wednesday April 6th at 7pm to 8:30 pm, Wednesday May 4th at 7pm.
Persons With Disabilities: Over 14 million Catholics have a disability. These disabilities cover a wide spectrum of both physical and neuro-psychological disorders. Resources and information are readily available to you. The Diocese of Buffalo offers a Directory of Spiritual Resources For Persons With Disabilities which provides information for persons with disabilities of all ages to fully participate in the life of the Church and much more. For more information contact www.buffalodiocese.org\disabilities.
Catholic Men’s Fellowship of WNY: A ministry for men's spirituality focusing on family, church and community. The Fourteenth Annual Men's Conference will be held on Saturday, March 12, 2016 at Cardinal O'Hara High School, 39 O'Hara Road, Tonawanda, NY. Live Fully is the theme of the day's events. Early bird registration is $25 if postmarked by February 15, 2016; otherwise admission is $30. For more information, schedule of events, or to register online visit www.SpiritIsCalling.org.
ENTHRONEMENT OF THE SACRED HEART is an active spiritual program carried out within the home to increase personal and family devotion to the Sacred Heart. Come join us on Friday June 3, 2016 at 8:30 am Mass at St. Aloysius Gonzaga Church, 157 Cleveland Drive, Cheektowaga, NY 14215. This will be followed by Coffee and donuts in the school cafeteria. Wheelchair accessible. All are welcome! Msgr. Popadict will be the celebrant.
Family and parenting packets: Practical, easy to use and accessible activities, resource ideas and enrichment opportunities are offered seasonally and coincide with the liturgical cycle of the church. They are designed to encourage the spiritual dimension of “ordinary” family life. Present packets include Family Lenten/Easter Packet, Advent Activities, Grandparent Activities, Summer Spirituality Tool Box of Ideas, Coping With the Holidays and Parenting Packet and much more.
Summer Spirituality Tool Box of Ideas Packet - is filled with practical ways to make summertime a sacred time. It is a perfect companion for your family throughout the summer months whether vacationing or being at home. Celebrate the glory of all God's creation! SPIRITUAL TOOL BOX PACKET
Parenting Perspective: Short, concise, practical and helpful ideas are provided weekly. These suggestions assist you in parenting skills and building family unit. click here for current insite
RESOUECES: Responding To Issues of Concern
- Become more knowledgeable. Movies: Web sites such as Kidsinmind.com provide excellent non-judgmental information. Kidsinmind actually takes films scene by scene and provides information about specific content such as violence, sex and profanity and offers a rating of the degree of each area within the scene. It even rates G movies which surprisingly might have a scene with bathroom humor or a scary moment or two.
- Invite your children whenever they are age appropriate to read the review with you. It opens dialogue with you and helps them make better informed decisions and choices.
- Share with other persons who hold the same core values you have and whose faith and knowledge you trust.
- Remember you have the power of the pen and pocketbook.
- Prayer. Where two or more are gathered in God’s name (in mind, heart and spirit for the greater good) God is present. Jesus is with us through both good and bad and offers us wisdom, insight, endurance, fortitude and enough grace to help us. Utilize solid web sites.
- United States Conference of Catholic Bishops (USCCB) has an incredible wealth of information and resources. Go to the main web site www.USCCB.org.
- NSTeens. NSTeens content features animated comic-book-style characters who model safer online practices. The materials include animations, peer response videos, and an interactive webcomic to address issues such as social netowrking and cyberbullying. To supplement these dynamic content, educators, parents and guardians are provided with safety tips, classroom activities and discussion starters to open the lines of communication with their teens. Their logline is "Can these friends help each other make the right decisions online and in the real world? To find out more about the crew and available resources, visit http://www.NSTeens.org.
- www.NetSmartz.org. The NetSmartz Workshop is an interactive, educational safety resource from the National Center for Missing and Exploited Children (NCMEC) and Boys and Girls Clubs of America (BGCA) for children aged 5 to 17, parents, guardians, educators and law enforcement that uses age-appropriate, 3-D activities to teach children how to stay safer on the internet. Included are excellent Blog Beware Tips.
Resources for Parents
- West, Christopher: Good News About Sex And Marriage - "Answers to Your Honest Questions about Catholic Training".
- Evert, Jason: "Pure Love" (A pamphlet for teens) available at www.pureloveclub.net.
- Evert, Jason: If You Really Loved Me - a book available at Catholic.com or Amazon.Com etc.
- Meeker, Meg MD: Strong Fathers, Strong Daughters http://www.megmeekermd.com/ Excellent book about the influence of Dad's in their daughter's lives, including self respect and emotional/social development.
- Pipher, Mary Ph.D.: Reviving Ophelia - saving the selves of adolescent girls. An extensive study of the psychological factors that lead to eating disorders and behavioral concerns with teenage girls.
- Laaser, Mark Ph.D. - Talking to Your Kids About Sex - For early adolescents, offers a Christian approach to this topic.
- "Catechism of the Catholic Church" - The most comprehensive work on the teachings of our Catholic faith. Available at most book stores or online.
- www.lyrics.com - help to decipher song lyrics.
- www.cpyu.org center for parent/youth understanding - current statistics/trends.
- "The Truth and Meaning of Human Sexuality" - Vatican web site for this document from the Pontifical Council for the family. Very solid resource regarding Catholic teachings! http://www.vatican.va/roman_curia/pontifical_councils/family/documents/rc_pc_family_doc_08121995_human-sexuality_en.html.
- Building Family Spirituality homefaith.com. Monthly issues focus on nurturing the spirituality of family. Includes articles and prayers.
- Greenfaith.org provides resources for caring for all creation