Ascension bell to be re-dedicated at Mount Olivet Cemetery
9/27/2012 9:43:39 AM by Office of Communications
A special Mass will be celebrated at Mount Olivet Cemetery (4000 Elmwood Ave., Kenmore), on Saturday, Oct. 20 at 10 a.m., to mark the re-dedication and blessing of the Ascension Parish bell. Bishop Edward M. Grosz, auxiliary bishop of Buffalo, will be the celebrant.
The bell was originally dedicated exactly one century ago, on Oct. 20, 1912, by Bishop Charles H. Colton, fourth bishop of Buffalo, for Ascension Parish in North Tonawanda. The bell was removed from the lower tower of the church last year and is being restored by Verdin Bell & Clocks in Cincinnati.
The bell will toll as funeral processions enter the cemetery. It will be located on the mall between the main entrance to Mount Olivet Cemetery and the Veterans’ Memorial.
The Ascension bell became available following the 2007 merger of Ascension and St. Albert the Great parishes, which formed St. Jude the Apostle Parish, using St. Albert Church as the worship site.