Purpose and Function:
The Communications Manager contributes to the development of an integrated and proactive communications program to engage internal and external stakeholders about the positive impact of Catholic faith and ministry across Western New York and the progress of efforts by diocesan leadership, parish lay and clergy leaders to bring about a renewed commitment to the core mission and purpose of the Diocese as reflected in the “Road to Renewal” initiative.
The Communications Manager reports to the Director of Communications and responsible for day-to-day management of the communications team of the Catholic Center. The successful candidate will be responsible for working collaboratively with Diocesan leadership and various department heads in support of a well-coordinated and proactive communications program.
- Contribute to the development of an annual communications/marketing plan, aligned with diocesan strategic goals, plans and initiatives;
- Work in close collaboration with senior leadership and key internal stakeholders to manage issues that arise, ensuring timely information, clarity and context;
- Assists in the timely response to news media inquiries, and also identifying story opportunities
- Ensure optimization of all communications channels to increase engagement among interested parties and diocesan stakeholders; produce compelling storytelling that demonstrates the purpose and mission of Catholic Faith and its varied ministries in serving essential needs, as well as the impact of core ministries;
- Ensure that the Department of Communications functions as a “shared service” for key diocesan departments, as well as related partners (i.e., Catholic Charities, Catholic Schools;
- Oversees the ongoing development of the diocesan website to ensure accurate information and integration of the Western New York Catholic digital platform;
- Monitors financial expenditures and progress against the budgetary plan and takes appropriate measures to meet top-line and bottom-line goals;
- Oversight of a small communications team of at least 2 individuals.
Required Qualifications and Skills
- Bachelor’s Degree from an accredited college or university
- Minimum five (5) years of demonstrated experience as part of a strategic communications team
- Minimum one (1) year of supervisory experience required
- Media relations experience required
- Experience in a higher education, non-profit or corporate organization strongly preferred
- Excellent written and verbal communications skills
- Ability to work independently and to be proactive
- Experience effectively utilizing social media platforms to communicate and engage audiences
- Strong marketing expertise in developing key messages for use with a broad range of constituencies
- Strong organizational and planning skills with the ability to influence, collaborate and achieve measurable results
- Demonstrated ability to think strategically and creatively, as well as execute programs in support of an organization’s vision and strategy
- Proven track record of effective media relations, along with the ability to respond with accuracy to media inquiries; gather information from definitive sources and provide timely follow-up
- Strong knowledge of the Catholic Church, its structure and references
About the Diocese of Buffalo
The Diocese of Buffalo is as vast as it is diverse. We have 162 parishes and missions, utilizing 196 worship sites. We have 34 Catholic elementary schools, 12 Catholic high schools and seven Catholic colleges and universities. The diocese is also home to four Catholic Hospitals.
Through our parishes, Catholic schools, Catholic Charities, Catholic Health and countless other ministries, the Diocese of Buffalo lives out a mission of charity and service each and every day in the eight counties of Western New York.
The Catholic Center, located at 795 Main St., in downtown Buffalo, serves as headquarters for the diocesan-wide ministries of Buildings & Properties, Catholic Schools, Communications, Computer Services, Cultural Diversity, Diocesan Purchasing, Finance, Insurance Services, Parish Engagement, Pro-Life Activities, Research & Planning, the Safe Environment Program, Vocations and Worship.
Job Type: Full-time
Pay: From $60,000.00 per year