For the Family
Parenting Perspective is full short,
concise, practical and helpful ideas are provided weekly through http://www.susanvogt.net/. These ideas can assist you in discussions with your family, parenting skills and building family unit. Visit the Susan Vogt Website for more information and articles.
Your Weekly Parenting Perspective for May 22: "Families can be really healthy only when children once again have communities of real people who care about them." (Mary Pipher) Who are the caring community of people who surround your child? What child needs your family to care? - Susan Vogt
NATURAL FAMILY PLANNING
Natural Family Planning provides couples a safe effective and scientifically proven means to learn about their fertility and use that knowledge to plan their family.
The Creighton Model FertilityCare System, offered by the Catholic Health System is available at Sisters or Buffalo Mercy Hospitals. Introductory Sessions occur each month, followed by individualized instruction over the course of a year. The program is very affordable and couples are taught by qualified, trained FertilityCare Practitioners. Interested couples are encouraged to visit www.womencarewny.org or call one of our locations. Pre-registration is required for the Introductory Session.
For information regarding introductory sessions, contact Catholic Fertility Care Centers of WNY at Sister'sHospital - 716 862-1944 or Buffalo Mercy Hospitals.
Catholic Fertility Care Centers of WNY Introductory Session Schedule for 2017.
Sisters of Charity Hospital 2121 Main Street, Buffalo, NY 14214. 716-862-1944.
Sessions meet on Saturday mornings at 10:30 am. 2017 session dates: June 24, July 29, August 26, September 23, October 21, and November 18, 2017.
Buffalo Mercy Hospital 565 Abbott Road, Buffalo, NY 14220. 716-828-2493.
Sessions meet on Tuesday evenings at 7:00 pm. 2017 session dates: June 13, July 11, August 15, September 12, October 10 and November 7, 2017.
** Pre-Registration is required at all locations**
BISHOP COMMITTEE FOR CHRISTIAN HOME & FAMILY
This program assists parents in the religious and moral training of their preschool aged children. As part of the Pre-Baptismal class or at the Baptism itself, free educational materials are given to the parents by a Visitor. Visitors meet twice yearly for updating, mutual support, liturgy, sharing and a Day of Reflection. The Bishop offers his encouragement and thanksgiving for this valuable ministry in the Diocese of Buffalo. - click here for Bishop Committee Visitor's Programs Brochure.
- Bishop's Committee Visitors Annual Day of Reflection, Thursday May 11, 2017 at St. Philip the Apostle, 950 Losson Road, Cheektowaga, NY 14227.
- Bishop's Committee Visitors Annual Meeting and Luncheon with Bishop Richard J. Malone, October 5, 2017 at St. Philip the Apostle, 950 Losson Road, Cheektowaga, NY 14227. Time - 9 am to 2:00 pm.
click here for BCVP Invitation to Bishops Luncheon
CATHOLIC WOMEN'S DISCUSSION PROGRAM (CWDP) (Formerly known as the Bishop's Committee Discussion Program.)
BCDP is open to persons of all faith traditions. It is a discussion group that meets once a month from October - May. Meetings are facilitated by trained leaders and each meeting centers on a topic of a spiritual nature. This encourages personal growth; offers support; strengthens one's faith and fosters the sharing of ideas and feelings all from a Catholic/Christian perspective. Sharing takes place in an accepting and confidential environment. Brochure and facilitator training are available. For more information, contact your Office of Family Life Ministries at 716-847-2210 or e-mail us at firstname.lastname@example.org. - click here for Catholic Women's Discussion Program Brochure.
Magnificat: A Ministry to Catholic Women. Gentle Woman, Mother of Mercy Chapter, Buffalo , New York. An International ministry to Catholic women. It's purpose is to help Catholic women open more to the Holy Spirit through a commitment of their lives to Jesus Christ and to impart the Holy Spirit to one another by love, service and good news of salvation. It is an opportunity to grow in holiness. For more information on Magnificat contact Evelyn Morcelle, Coordinator at 716 652-2286.
St. Gregory the Great M.O.M.S. (Ministry of Mothers Sharing) Group. A ministry designed for moms by moms to support and affirm women in the many roles of life as mothers, wives, daughters, sisters and friends e.g. women bonded by their vocation and their Catholic faith gathering to share joys and struggles. Open meetings are monthly from September to May. Free child care is available. Also available is a MOMS Book Club. All moms are welcome to participate in all gatherings each month. For more information please contact Dawn Lacono at 716 207-5172 or email@example.com. The meetings for 2017 are January 20, February 17, April 7 and May 19 at 9:00 am to 11:00 am in the Gathering Room at St. Gregory the Great Parish.
NFC Moms Group (Niagara Falls Catholic Moms Group)
Moms of all ages and stages are invited to join us monthly to take a break, enjoy a cup of coffee, listen to a great speaker, talk to other moms and grow in your Faith. Free childcare is available. Meetings are held from 9:30 am to 11 am in the St. Vincent De Paul Parish Ministry Center, 2748 Military Road, Niagara Falls. We meet on the second Saturday of every month. Contact Sarah at 716 957-2410 for more information.
SS Peter & Paul Moms Group (Williamsville) 2017 Schedule January to May 2017. All moms, grandmoms, godmothers are welcome to SSPP MOMS! SSPP MOMS can increase your faith, strengthen your friendships with wonderful Catholic women, and give you an excuse to get out of the house to enjoy a glass of wine! For more information contact: Rose Quebral at 716 635-9488 / firstname.lastname@example.org. The group meets monthly on Wednesday evenings from 7 - 8:30 pm in the Newman Rooms below the church.
- Wednesday February 1, 2017 - Presentation on Vocations will be held in the Newman Rooms below the church from 7 pm - 8:30 pm.
- Friday March 24, 2017 - Moms will be hosting 'Stations of the Cross' in the church at 7:00 pm.
Wednesday April 5, 2017 - Moms will be hosting a discussion on "Marian Apparitions' in the Newman Rooms from 7 pm - 8:30 pm
April 23 & 23, 2017 - Will be reciting the Divine Mercy Chaplet after all masses.
May 14, 2017 - After the 9:30 mass the moms will be hosting a May Crowning at 10:30 am.
Catholic Men's Fellowship of WNY: A ministry for men's spirituality focusing on family, Church, and community.
The Fifteenth Annual Men's Conference will be held on Saturday April 1, 2017 at Cardinal O'Hara High School -- 39 O'Hara Road, Tonawanda, NY 14150. Courage to Believe is the theme of the day's events. Early bird registration is $25 if postmarked by February 5, 2017. Regular admission is $30. For more information, a schedule of events, or to register online please visit www.SpiritIsCalling.org.
Enthronement of the Sacred Heart is an active spiritual
program carried out within the home to increase personal and family
devotion to the Sacred Heart. Come join us on Friday June 23, 2017 at
8:30 am Mass at St. Aloysius Gonzaga Church, 157 Cleveland Drive,
Cheektowaga, NY 14215. This will be followed by coffee and donuts in
the school cafeteria. Wheelchair accessible. All are welcome! Msgr.
Popadict will be the celebrant.
Persons with Disabilities:
Over 14 million Catholics have a disability. These disabilities cover a wide spectrum of both physical and neuro-psychological disorders. Resources and information are readily available to you. The Diocese of Buffalo offers a Directory of Spiritual Resources For Persons With Disabilities which provides information for persons with disabilities of all ages to fully participate in the life of the Church and much more. For more information visit our Disabilities website..
Family and parenting packets: Practical, easy to use and accessible activities, resource ideas and enrichment opportunities are offered seasonally and coincide with the liturgical cycle of the church. They are designed to encourage the spiritual dimension of "ordinary" family life. Present packets include Family Lenten/Easter Packet, Advent Activities, Grandparent Activities, Summer Spirituality Tool Box of Ideas, Coping With the Holidays and Parenting Packet and much more.
Summer Spirituality Tool Box of Ideas Packet - is filled with practical ways to make summertime a sacred time. It is a perfect companion for your family throughout the summer months whether vacationing or being at home. Celebrate the glory of all God's creation! SPIRITUAL TOOL BOX PACKET
RESOURCES: Responding To Issues of Concern
- Become more knowledgeable. Movies: Web sites such as Kidsinmind.com provide excellent non-judgmental information. Kidsinmind actually takes films scene by scene and provides information about specific content such as violence, sex and profanity and offers a rating of the degree of each area within the scene. It even rates G movies which surprisingly might have a scene with bathroom humor or a scary moment or two.
- Invite your children whenever they are age appropriate to read the review with you. It opens dialogue with you and helps them make better informed decisions and choices.
- Share with other persons who hold the same core values you have and whose faith and knowledge you trust.
- Remember you have the power of the pen and pocketbook.
- Prayer. Where two or more are gathered in God's name (in mind, heart and spirit for the greater good) God is present. Jesus is with us through both good and bad and offers us wisdom, insight, endurance, fortitude and enough grace to help us. Utilize solid web sites.
- United States Conference of Catholic Bishops (USCCB) has an incredible wealth of information and resources. Go to the main web site www.USCCB.org.
- NSTeens. NSTeens content features animated comic-book-style characters who model safer online practices. The materials include animations, peer response videos, and an interactive webcomic to address issues such as social netowrking and cyberbullying. To supplement these dynamic content, educators, parents and guardians are provided with safety tips, classroom activities and discussion starters to open the lines of communication with their teens. Their logline is "Can these friends help each other make the right decisions online and in the real world? To find out more about the crew and available resources, visit http://www.NSTeens.org.
- www.NetSmartz.org. The NetSmartz Workshop is an interactive, educational safety resource from the National Center for Missing and Exploited Children (NCMEC) and Boys and Girls Clubs of America (BGCA) for children aged 5 to 17, parents, guardians, educators and law enforcement that uses age-appropriate, 3-D activities to teach children how to stay safer on the internet. Included are excellent Blog Beware Tips.
Written Resources for Parents
- West, Christopher: Good News About Sex And Marriage - "Answers to Your Honest Questions about Catholic Training".
- Evert, Jason: "Pure Love" (A pamphlet for teens) available at www.pureloveclub.net.
- Evert, Jason: If You Really Loved Me - a book available at Catholic.com or Amazon.Com etc.
- Meeker, Meg MD: Strong Fathers, Strong Daughters http://www.megmeekermd.com/ Excellent book about the influence of Dads in their daughter's lives, including self respect and emotional/social development.
- Pipher, Mary Ph.D.: Reviving Ophelia - saving the selves of adolescent girls. An extensive study of the psychological factors that lead to eating disorders and behavioral concerns with teenage girls.
- Laaser, Mark Ph.D. - Talking to Your Kids About Sex - For early adolescents, offers a Christian approach to this topic.
- "Catechism of the Catholic Church" - The most comprehensive work on the teachings of our Catholic faith. Available at most book stores or online.
Online Resources For Parents:
- www.lyrics.com - help to decipher song lyrics.
- www.cpyu.org center for parent/youth understanding - current statistics/trends.
- "The Truth and Meaning of Human Sexuality" - Vatican web site for this document from the Pontifical Council for the family. Very solid resource regarding Catholic teachings! http://www.vatican.va/roman_curia/pontifical_councils/family/documents/rc_pc_family_doc_08121995_human-sexuality_en.html.
- Building Family Spirituality homefaith.com. Monthly issues focus on nurturing the spirituality of family. Includes articles and prayers.
- Greenfaith.org provides resources for caring for all creation