For the Family
Parenting Perspective is full short,
concise, practical and helpful ideas are provided weekly through http://www.susanvogt.net/. These ideas can assist you in discussions with your family, parenting skills and building family unit. Visit the Susan Vogt Website for more information and articles.
Your Weekly Parenting Perspective: Jan.
19 is the 45th annual March for Life in Washington DC. Tens of thousands of Pro-Life supporters will testify
to their opposition to abortion. Can't go to Washington? You can still testify.
Talk with your child about the value of life no matter how young or how old.
Perhaps donate baby items to a pregnancy center.
BISHOP COMMITTEE FOR CHRISTIAN HOME & FAMILY
This program assists parents in the religious and moral training of
their preschool aged children. As part of the Pre-Baptismal class or at
the Baptism itself, free educational materials are given to the parents
by a Visitor. Visitors meet twice yearly for updating, mutual support,
liturgy, sharing and a Day of Reflection. The Bishop offers his
encouragement and thanksgiving for this valuable ministry in the Diocese
NATURAL FAMILY PLANNING
Natural Family Planning provides couples a safe and effective means to learn about their fertility and use that knowledge to plan their family. The Creighton Model Fertility Care System, offered by the Catholic Health System is available at Sisters and Buffalo Mercy Hospitals. Introductory Sessions occur each month, followed by individualized instruction over the course of a year. ** Pre-Registration is required at all locations** For information regarding natural family planning, or introductory sessions please either go to www.WomenCareWNY.org.
Catholic Fertility Care Centers of WNY Introductory Session Schedule for 2017.
Sisters of Charity Hospital 2121 Main Street, Buffalo, NY 14214. 716-862-1944.
Sessions meet on Saturday mornings at 10:30 am. 2018 session dates: January 20, February 10, March 24, April 28, May 19, June 23, July 21, August 25, September 29, October 20, and November 10.
Buffalo Mercy Hospital 565 Abbott Road, Buffalo, NY 14220. 716-828-2493.
Sessions meet on Tuesday evenings at 7:00 pm. 2018 session dates: January 9, February 20, March 13, April 10, May 8, June 12, July 10, August 7, September 11, October 9, and November 27.
Mt. St. Mary Hospital 5300 Military Road, Lewiston, NY 14092. 716-298-2385.
Private Introductory Sessions are currently by appointment only.
CATHOLIC WOMEN'S DISCUSSION PROGRAM (CWDP) (Formerly known as the Bishop's Committee Discussion Program.)
BCDP is open to persons of all faith traditions. It is a discussion group that meets once a month from October - May. Meetings are facilitated by trained leaders and each meeting centers on a topic of a spiritual nature. This encourages personal growth; offers support; strengthens one's faith and fosters the sharing of ideas and feelings all from a Catholic/Christian perspective. Sharing takes place in an accepting and confidential environment. Brochure and facilitator training are available. For more information, contact your Office of Family Life Ministries at 716-847-2210 or e-mail us at email@example.com. - click here for Catholic Women's Discussion Program Brochure.
Magnificat: We are the Gentle Woman, Mother of Mercy Chapter based out of Buffalo, NY. Magnificat is an international ministry to Catholic women. Its purpose is to help Catholic women open themselves more to the Holy Spirit through a commitment of their lives to Jesus Christ; and to impart the Holy Spirit to one another by love, service and good news of salvation. For more information on Magnificat, please contact Evelyn Morcelle at (716) 652-2286.
St. Gregory the Great M.O.M.S. (Ministry of Mothers Sharing) Group. MOMS is an inspiring ministry designed by moms, for moms of all ages and
stages. MOMS is a ministry for women seeking to live out their vocation
of motherhood through their Catholic Faith, who come together to share
the joys and struggles of motherhood. MOMS encourages and inspires women
in their life roles as mothers, wives, daughters, sisters, friends.
FREE "Angel Sitting" child-care is available upon request.
Open meetings are monthly from September to May. All moms are welcome to participate in all gatherings each month. For more information please contact Dawn Iacono at 716 207-5172 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
2017-2018 MOMS Schedule - all meetings begin at 9:00 am in the Gathering Room.
December 8 (Evening Meeting)
March 16 (Stations of the Cross)
When MOMS is not in session, enjoy the company of other Catholic Moms
while your children play with each other. For Moms and kids ages birth -
5 years old. Located in the Ministry Center basement from 9:30 -
11:30am. For more information please contact: Mary Sendlak, email@example.com, 982-5120.
Playgroup Dates for 2017-2018
NFC Moms Group (Niagara Falls Catholic Moms Group)
Moms of all ages and stages are invited to join us monthly to take a break, enjoy a cup of coffee, listen to a great speaker, talk to other moms and grow in your Faith. Free childcare is available. Meetings are held from 9:30 am to 11 am in the St. Vincent De Paul Parish Ministry Center, 2748 Military Road, Niagara Falls. We meet on the second Saturday of every month. Contact Sarah at (716) 957-2410 for more information.
SS Peter & Paul Moms Group (Williamsville)
SSPP MOMS is a
ministry of faith sharing designed for all women at any point on their
spiritual journey—whether they be mothers, grandmothers, godmothers or
spiritual mothers. SSPP MOMS provides a
relaxed atmosphere to share our Catholic faith, form
friendships with each other, and share in the joys and struggles of motherhood and your faith journey! Meetings include wine and chocolate, a presentation or special speaker, and guided discussion. Please join us! For more information and dates, please contact Rose Quebral at 716-635-9488 or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org. Take a look at their current information here!
2018 MOMS Schedule - all meetings begin at 7:00 PM in the Neumann Rooms.
Wednesday, January 10, 2018
Friday, March 16, 2018
Catholic Men's Fellowship of WNY: A ministry for men's spirituality focusing on family, Church, and community. 716-828-2493.
The Fifteenth Annual Men's Conference was held on Saturday April 1, 2017 at Cardinal O'Hara High School. Courage to Believe is the theme of the day's events.
The date for the Sixteenth Annual Men's Conference has not been announced yet.
For more information, a schedule of events, or to register online please visit www.SpiritIsCalling.org
Enthronement of the Sacred Heart is an active spiritual
program carried out within the home to increase personal and family
devotion to the Sacred Heart. All are welcome!
Family and parenting packets: Practical, easy to use and accessible activities, resource ideas and enrichment opportunities are offered seasonally and coincide with the liturgical cycle of the church. They are designed to encourage the spiritual dimension of "ordinary" family life. Present packets include Family Lenten/Easter Packet, Advent Activities, Grandparent Activities, Summer Spirituality Tool Box of Ideas, Coping With the Holidays and Parenting Packet and much more.
RESOURCES: Responding To Issues of Concern
- Become more knowledgeable. Movies: Web sites such as Kidsinmind.com provide excellent non-judgmental information. Kidsinmind actually takes films scene by scene and provides information about specific content such as violence, sex and profanity and offers a rating of the degree of each area within the scene. It even rates G movies which surprisingly might have a scene with bathroom humor or a scary moment or two.
- Invite your children whenever they are age appropriate to read the review with you. It opens dialogue with you and helps them make better informed decisions and choices.
- Share with other persons who hold the same core values you have and whose faith and knowledge you trust.
- Remember you have the power of the pen and pocketbook.
- Prayer. Where two or more are gathered in God's name (in mind, heart and spirit for the greater good) God is present. Jesus is with us through both good and bad and offers us wisdom, insight, endurance, fortitude and enough grace to help us. Utilize solid web sites.
- United States Conference of Catholic Bishops (USCCB) has an incredible wealth of information and resources. Go to the main web site www.USCCB.org.
- NSTeens. NSTeens content features animated comic-book-style characters who model safer online practices. The materials include animations, peer response videos, and an interactive webcomic to address issues such as social netowrking and cyberbullying. To supplement these dynamic content, educators, parents and guardians are provided with safety tips, classroom activities and discussion starters to open the lines of communication with their teens. Their logline is "Can these friends help each other make the right decisions online and in the real world? To find out more about the crew and available resources, visit http://www.NSTeens.org.
- www.NetSmartz.org. The NetSmartz Workshop is an interactive, educational safety resource from the National Center for Missing and Exploited Children (NCMEC) and Boys and Girls Clubs of America (BGCA) for children aged 5 to 17, parents, guardians, educators and law enforcement that uses age-appropriate, 3-D activities to teach children how to stay safer on the internet. Included are excellent Blog Beware Tips.
Written Resources for Parents
- West, Christopher: Good News About Sex And Marriage - "Answers to Your Honest Questions about Catholic Training".
- Evert, Jason: "Pure Love" (A pamphlet for teens) available at www.pureloveclub.net.
- Meeker, Meg MD: Strong Fathers, Strong Daughters http://www.megmeekermd.com/ Excellent book about the influence of Dads in their daughter's lives, including self respect and emotional/social development.
- Pipher, Mary Ph.D.: Reviving Ophelia - saving the selves of adolescent girls. An extensive study of the psychological factors that lead to eating disorders and behavioral concerns with teenage girls.
- Laaser, Mark Ph.D. - Talking to Your Kids About Sex - For early adolescents, offers a Christian approach to this topic.
Online Resources For Parents:
- www.lyrics.com - help to decipher song lyrics.
- www.cpyu.org center for parent/youth understanding - current statistics/trends.
- "The Truth and Meaning of Human Sexuality" - Vatican web site for this document from the Pontifical Council for the family. Very solid resource regarding Catholic teachings! http://www.vatican.va/roman_curia/pontifical_councils/family/documents/rc_pc_family_doc_08121995_human-sexuality_en.html.
- Building Family Spirituality homefaith.com. Monthly issues focus on nurturing the spirituality of family. Includes articles and prayers.