A parish faith formation program requires much planning, as well as attention to a variety of guidelines. Some guidelines are governed by Canon Law, some by our local bishop, others by the state of New York, and still others are governed by our own common sense. Provided here are a summary of the most important policies, guidelines and procedures parish faith formation programs, involving children and young people, must follow at parishes in the Diocese of Buffalo.
If you have any questions, please contact us.
Safe Environment Mandates for Children's Training
1. Resources by Learning Objectives: This document includes the learning objectives that must be communicated to children in faith formation programs by November 1 of each year. Below each objective are some resources that can assist parish leaders and catechists in discussing these topics.
2. Report Form for Children / Youth Training: The parish compliance form for the safe environment training with children and youth to be submitted to Lifelong Faith Formation by November 1 of each year.
Every year, in order to comply with the United States Conference of Catholic Bishops' Charter to Protect Children and Young People, the Diocese requires each parish to complete a report indicating that they have provided training to all children / youth who are part of parish faith formation programs by November 1. However, it is important to revisit safe environment topics during the year to reinforce this important information. The following are resouces to assist faith formation leaders and catechists in discussing these topics.
3. Curriculum Correlations by Grade Level: This document points faith formation leaders and catechists to the correlations between safe environment topics and the Forming Disciples curriculum by grade level.
4. Curriculum Correlations by Standards: This document points faith formation leaders and catechists to the correlations between safe environment topics and the Forming Disciples curriculum by standards.
5. Additional Safe Environment Resources: This document points faith formation leaders and catechists to additional resources that may be of assisitance in discussing safe environment topics with children and adolescents.
Safe Environment Mandates for Adults working with Children
Training Policy Statement
Code of Conduct
2018-2019 Statistical Report
Driver Information Form (required from all who drive youth)
Incident Report (document all injuries / property damage)
Permission Slip (template)
Publicity / Media Release
Sacramental Record Keeping