A Message from Bishop Malone:
The issue of sexual abuse and misconduct and the steps to report and assist victims are on the forefront of the Catholic Church’s mind and very much a priority for us here in the Diocese of Buffalo. To that end, we have developed this page to guide someone who may need to report sexual abuse/misconduct, need pastoral care due to sexual abuse/misconduct, or might need to report fraudulent/ethical misconduct by an employee or volunteer of the Diocese of Buffalo and its parishes, schools, and institutions.
Since 2002, the Catholic Church in the U.S. has followed the principles and protocols of the Charter for the Protection of Children and Young People promulgated by the United States Conference of Catholic Bishops (USCCB) for preventing and dealing with sexual abuse of minors and vulnerable adults by bishops, priests, deacons, or others who work or volunteer in the Church. Our Diocese has, like all others, followed the USCCB directives to:
- have a written policy for dealing with sexual abuse of minors or vulnerable adults by priests, deacons and other Church personnel
- appoint a victims assistance coordinator who is available for persons who report having been sexually abused
- report allegations concerning child sexual abuse to civil authorities and to cooperate with civil investigations
- establish an independent review board of at least five persons, mostly members of the laity, who counsel the bishop on allegations and review local policies dealing with sexual abuse
- investigate promptly and objectively any allegation of sexual abuse
- remove offending priests, deacons or church personnel from Church ministry
- prohibit the transfer of offending priests or church personnel from ministerial assignment in another diocese or eparchy
- conduct necessary background checks before permitting priests or church personnel to exercise ministry in a diocese
- protect the rights of accusers and of the accused
Below you will find three ways to report child abuse/adult sexual misconduct or fraud/ethical misconduct, they include calling law enforcement, contacting the diocesan Victims Assistance Coordinator and/or contacting EthicsPoint (NAVEX GLOBAL). Please read each option carefully and then select the one that best fits your needs. My sincere desire and goal is for us to have a diocese free of child abuse/adult sexual misconduct and fraud/ethical misconduct. We are working hard, in every way, in every arena, to achieve this goal. Let us continue to pray and work together in building a culture of safety and accountability.
Yours sincerely in Christ,
Most Reverend Richard J. Malone
Bishop of Buffalo
WAYS TO REPORT ABUSE/MISCONDUCT/FRAUD:
(1) Call 911 (if imminent danger exists)/law enforcement and/or your county’s District Attorney if reporting sexual abuse/misconduct by clergy, religious, or an employee or volunteer of the Diocese of Buffalo or one of its parishes, schools or institutions.
(2) Contact the Victims Assistance Coordinator (VAC) if reporting sexual abuse/misconduct from the past or present. The VAC is available to assist you, as well, if you have been abused or victimized by someone representing the Catholic Church. The VAC will arrange a personal meeting with a bishop of the diocese, or his delegate and will also coordinate counseling, if desired. The VAC for the Diocese of Buffalo is: Ms. Jacqueline Joy. She can be reached at (716) 895-3010 or Jacqueline.email@example.com.
(3) Contact EthicsPoint (NAVEX GLOBAL) - The Diocese has implemented a reporting system which provides a confidential method of reporting child abuse/adult sexual misconduct or fraud/ethical misconduct via a toll-free hotline & web-site called EthicsPoint. EthicsPoint is available in both English and Spanish and is an independent, third-party company. They have been hired by several other dioceses and corporations, nationally, to manage their helplines. All reports will be taken seriously, promptly investigated, and when requested, anonymity is provided. EthicsPoint is hosted on secure servers.
The following are EthicsPoint categories you can select from:
Child Abuse/Adult Sexual Misconduct, Accounting & Financial, Confidentiality, Conflict of Interest, Fraud & Theft, Gifts & Donations, Harassment & Inappropriate Behavior, Misuse of Company Resources, Safety or Other (if you feel that the definitions above do not describe the event, action or situation you are looking to report about, please use this header)
There are two ways to file a report with EthicsPoint:
- via their website’s confidential hotline; click here to begin: EthicsPoint
- By calling one of their trained specialists on their toll-free hotline 1-844-573-4177
See the EthicsPoint FAQs for more information. EthicsPoint is NOT a 911 or Emergency Service. Do not use this site to report events presenting an immediate threat to life or property. Reports submitted through this service will receive a prompt response. If you require emergency assistance, please contact your local authorities.