We are one body, one spirit in Christ
Who We Are
THE BUFFALO DIOCESE
The Buffalo Diocese is home to approximately 630,000 Catholics, spanning almost 6,500-square-miles and encompasses eight counties: Allegany, Cattaraugus, Chautauqua, Erie, Genesee, Niagara, Orleans, and Wyoming.
On April 23, 1847, Pope Pius IX established the Diocese of Buffalo and appointed the Very Rev. John Timon as our first bishop. At the time, the diocese covered an expansive 20 counties and had just a handful of priests to serve a rapidly growing population. Today, in eight counties, there are 163 parishes, 34 Catholic elementary schools, over 350 priests, over 500 women religious; 129 permanent deacons; and a wealth of lay leaders and committed volunteers who serve God’s people every day. The social, pastoral, and ministerial works of our diocese provide spiritual support and outreach services to more than 500,000 people in need, of all faiths and backgrounds, each year.
Erie Canal opens
The construction of the Erie Canal from 1817-1825 brings an influx of immigrant workers, many of them Catholics.
St. Joseph Cathedral constructed
Construction of a Gothic Revival style church to serve as the seat of the diocese.
Franciscan priest and explorer Father Hennepin visits Niagara Falls and offers Mass on the banks of the Niagara River.
Diocese of Buffalo created
On April 23, 1847, Pope Pius IX creates the Diocese of Buffalo consisting of the 20 western most counties of New York.
1882 - 1936
Father Nelson Baker and Our Lady of Victory
Father Nelson Baker begins his ministry the church and its people, especially orphaned children; constructs Our Lady of Victory Basilica.