Learn more about what Convention is, why you should get involved, and how to have the best experience possible!
FAQs and General Information
WHEN is Convention?
Convention will be held March 2-4, 2018
Click here to download the 2018 Convention Schedule
WHERE is the Convention held?
The Convention is held at the Adam's Mark Hotel in downtown Buffalo, NY.
WHAT is the Diocesan Youth Convention?
Fun, faith and fellowship all in
one amazing weekend! The Convention is an exciting, three-day
experience of prayer, learning, and community for teenagers and their
adult chaperones. The schedule includes liturgies, prayer, general
sessions, breakouts, socializing, and small group time. The general
sessions and smaller breakouts use diverse learning methods (i.e.
interactive learning experiences, witness talks, small group sharing,
and group process) to address a variety of topics.
What are the GOALS of the Convention?
1. To provide teenagers with a healthy, positive experience of Christian community
2. To help teens connect with God
3. To help young people know and live their Catholic faith more fully
4. To help teenagers grow in personal wholeness and holiness
provide opportunities for teens to evangelize (share faith with others)
and be evangelized (hear the Good News of Jesus Christ)
6. To help young people put their faith in action as disciples of Jesus Christ in our world today.
What is the THEME?
The theme for Convention 2018 is TRUE STORY. In our challenging world, full of questions, fake news, and alternative facts, is there really any such thing as a "true story?" The story Jesus' love for us remains just as true today as it did when He walked this earth. Convention 2018 will help us to explore this True Story and what it--and the Person it is about--mean for our world today!
WHO attends the Convention?
The conference is open to all high school students
and their adult chaperones. We are expecting over 800 young people and
adults to attend, and we want YOU to join us!
WHY attend the Convention?
Youth and adult participants attend the Convention because they can:
- Gather as the young people of our diocese and meet hundreds of Catholic youth who share their values.
- Learn more about themselves and their place in the Catholic Church.
- Celebrate and deepen their Christian faith as they share beliefs and experiences
- Remember (or realize for the first time) the importance of God and the Church in their lives.
- Recognize their role in the larger Catholic Church.
- Share their renewed energy and enthusiasm for youth ministry with their entire parish.
- Apply their new ideas and insights to many ministries at their parishes and in their schools.
- See and
understand the power of God's love, the strength of the Catholic
community and the gifts that young people bring to the world.
Are there any special opportunities for youth?
Youth are invited to share their gifts with the Convention in many different roles. See the Get Involved pages for more information on how teens can take part in Convention!
How are parents involved?
- Many parents
experience the Diocesan Youth Convention weekend with their teenager by
volunteering as a chaperone with their parish group.
- Parents are also invited to review these Helpful Hints for Families.
HOW MUCH does it cost to attend?
- The cost for a
complete package for the conference is $180 for each young person. This
cost includes the conference registration fee, two nights
accommodation at the hotel, two meals and two socials.
- Partial packages are available. See the registration section to learn more.
Is any financial help available?
YES! Many parishes sponsor fundraisers to assist youth and families
with registration fees. The registration fee for the Convention can also
be reduced by taking advantage of the following diocesan offers:
Group Incentive: If your group is new to the Convention, or hasn't
attended in 3 years or more, your group leader comes for
free. (Group must include minimum of 4 youth and 2 adults who
are staying overnight for the full weekend. Free registration for
group leader is only offered up to the price of one adult sharing a room
with one other person.)
Scholarship Fund: Partial scholarships are available for those that
demonstrate financial need. Download a scholarship application.
Financial assistance is available for parishes that are making an
enhancement to their Confirmation or faith formation programs by including
the Convention as an element of those programs. Contact Kaitlin
Garrity for more details.
How can a group from my parish participate?
To participate in the Convention:
- All youth and adults must register in advance.
- See the Parish Preparation section for ideas and helpful hints to organize your group.
Who sponsors the Convention?
This is the 66th annual Convention sponsored by the Department of Youth & Young Adult Ministry of the Diocese of Buffalo, the office commissioned by the Bishop of Buffalo as
the primary advocate for young people and youth ministry in the
Diocese. Bishop Richard Malone will be present at the Convention on
Friday and Sunday.
Rules and Dress Code
CLICK HERE TO VIEW THE CONVENTION RULES, BEHAVIOR EXPECTATIONS & DRESS CODE