Learn more about what Convention is, why you should get involved, and how to have the best experience possible!
FAQs and General Information
WHEN is Convention?
Convention will be held February 28-March 1, 2020.
Click here to download the 2020 Convention Schedule (REVISED 12/5/2019)
WHERE is the Convention held?
The Diocesan Youth Convention is held at the Buffalo Grand Hotel (formerly the Adam's Mark Hotel) in downtown Buffalo.
WHAT is the Diocesan Youth Convention?
Fun, faith and fellowship all in one amazing weekend! The Convention is an exciting, three-day experience of prayer, learning, and community for teenagers and their adult chaperones. The schedule includes liturgies, prayer, general sessions, breakouts, socializing, and small group time. The general sessions and smaller breakouts use diverse learning methods (i.e. interactive learning experiences, witness talks, small group sharing, and group process) to address a variety of topics.
What are the GOALS of the Convention?
1. To provide teenagers with a healthy, positive experience of Christian community
2. To help teens connect with God
3. To help young people know and live their Catholic faith more fully
4. To help teenagers grow in personal wholeness and holiness
5. To provide opportunities for teens to evangelize (share faith with others) and be evangelized (hear the Good News of Jesus Christ)
6. To help young people put their faith in action as disciples of Jesus Christ in our world today.
WHO attends the Convention?
The conference is open to all high school students and their adult chaperones. We are expecting over 800 young people and adults to attend, and we want YOU to join us!
WHY attend the Convention?
Youth and adult participants attend the Convention because they can:
- Gather as the young people of our diocese and meet hundreds of Catholic youth who share their values.
- Learn more about themselves and their place in the Catholic Church.
- Celebrate and deepen their Christian faith as they share beliefs and experiences
- Remember (or realize for the first time) the importance of God and the Church in their lives.
- Recognize their role in the larger Catholic Church.
- Share their renewed energy and enthusiasm for youth ministry with their entire parish.
- Apply their new ideas and insights to many ministries at their parishes and in their schools.
- See and understand the power of God's love, the strength of the Catholic community and the gifts that young people bring to the world.
Are there any special opportunities for youth?
Youth are invited to share their gifts with the Convention in many different roles. See the Get Involved pages for more information on how teens can take part in Convention!
How are parents involved?
- Many parents experience the Diocesan Youth Convention weekend with their teenager by volunteering as a chaperone with their parish group.
- Parents are also invited to review these Helpful Hints for Families.
HOW MUCH does it cost to attend?
- The cost for a complete package for the conference is $190 for each young person. This cost includes the conference registration fee, two nights accommodation at the hotel, two meals and two socials.
- Partial packages are available. See the registration page to learn more.
Is any financial help available?
YES! Many parishes sponsor fundraisers to assist youth and families with registration fees. The registration fee for the Convention can also be reduced by taking advantage of the following diocesan offers:
- New Group Incentive: If your group is new to the Convention, or hasn't attended in 3 years or more, your group leader comes for free. (Group must include minimum of 4 youth and 2 adults who are staying overnight for the full weekend. Free registration for group leader is only offered up to the price of one adult sharing a room with one other person.)
- Convention Scholarship Fund: Partial scholarships are available for those that demonstrate financial need. Download a scholarship application.
How can a group from my parish participate?
To participate in the Convention:
- All youth and adults must register in advance.
- See the Parish Preparation section for ideas and helpful hints to organize your group.
Who sponsors the Convention?
This is the 68th annual Convention sponsored by the Department of Youth & Young Adult Ministry of the Diocese of Buffalo, the office commissioned by the Bishop of Buffalo as the primary advocate for young people and youth ministry in the Diocese.
Rules and Dress Code
CLICK HERE TO VIEW THE CONVENTION RULES, BEHAVIOR EXPECTATIONS & DRESS CODE