For Adult Leaders
67th Annual Diocesan Youth Convention
Welcome Chaperones and Group Leaders! While this position is certainly a lot of responsibility, it also affords you the opportunity to walk closely with young people in their journey to and through an amazing experience of faith. Good luck and may God bless you on this journey!
This page contains all the information you need to lead your teens through the Convention experience!
Junior Advisor Training Video
Junior Advisors are an important part of the Convention for many parishes! Watch this video to find out more about how to choose Junior Advisors and prepare them for their role.
Adult Chaperone Training:
Adult Chaperone Webinars
ALL group leaders, adult chaperones, and junior advisors are expected to watch a webinar, either live or recorded. For your information, recordings of group leader webinars for Convention 2018 are available here. Stay tuned for updates regarding Convention 2019!
Webinars for New Group Leaders and Chaperones (those who have been to fewer than three Convention):
Watch the webinar recording
Download a Copy of the Slides
Download the Convention Reference Guide
Webinars for experienced group leaders and chaperones (those who have attended three or more Conventions):
Watch the Recording
Download a Copy of the Slides
Download the Convention Reference Guide
Adult Leader Training
We know that the Convention is a huge investment! It's a significant investment of time and money for your teens and their families, for you and all the chaperones from your parish, and for your parish (or school). We want to help you to get the best "Return On Investment" that you possibly can! Thanks to those of you who have attending adult leader training sessions in the past. We look forward to working with you again in 2019.
Convention Resource Guide
The Departments of Lifelong Faith Formation and Youth and Young Adult Ministry seek to provide helpful resources to parish leaders that can assist them in their ministries. We will provide you with any updated resources as soon as possible. Many of the resources provided for Convention 2019 can be updated and apated for continued use. Dowload the 2018 resource guide.
ALL group leaders, chaperones, and junior advisors MUST sign up for hall duty.
Hall Monitoring:In order to ensure that the hotel is a safe place for all participants, the hotel is monitored throughout the Convention. This can only be done with the assistance of ALL adult and junior advisor chaperones who attend the Convention. By serving as a Hall Monitor, you ensure a safe and healthy atmosphere for all participants.
- Hall Monitors report to Room 321 ten minutes before their shift to check in and find their assigned location.
- Specific instructions will be provided on the Adult Chaperone Webinars and at the Convention.
Preparing Your Parish
Be sure to use the Parish Preparation Resources to help you get your group ready.
Teens, Junior Advisors & Adults are needed as small group facilitators. Please contact Michael Slish by email or call 716-847-8789. Trainings for all teen, junior advisor, and adult volunteers will take place in the weeks leading up to Convention. Stay tuned!
Safe Environment Compliance:
All persons age 18 and older who work regularly with youth in the Diocese of Buffalo must fulfill the following requirements of the Diocesan Safe Environment Program. Because of the intense, extended nature of the Convention experience, all adults and junior advisors who attend the Convention must be in full compliance with diocesan safe environment policies. Requirements are detailed on the Safe Environment Compliance Letter. Group Leaders must ensure that all chaperones are in compliance and must return this letter with your registration materials by January 25, 2019.
Each parish is encouraged to create a banner that will be displayed in the ballroom of the Buffalo Grand Hotel. The banner should show your parish identity and the Convention theme. Important guidelines for banners:
- Banners should be 4' wide x 8' long.
- Banners MUST include a sewn pocket at the top (so that banner can slide onto pole).
- DO NOT include lights or other heavy objects on your banner.
- Banners should be delivered to the Catholic Center by Tuesday, February 26. If you are unable to deliver your banner by Tuesday, it will not be hung until Saturday during the Convention.
- Please pick up banners from the Catholic Center after the Convention.
- Banners MUST be labeled on the back (upper left corner) with your parish name, location, group leader, and phone number.
In Memoriam: If an adult or youth who was involved in your parish's youth ministry program has died within the past year, please send their name and photo to Kathy Goller.
Please be sure that your group is aware of the following information:
- Friday evening: Please plan to eat prior to the start of convention. Light snacks will be available in the expo area on Friday evening.
- Saturday breakfast: Breakfast items will be available for sale in the expo area prior to the morning general session.
- Snacks: There will be light concessions available for purchase during the social time on Friday and Saturday evenings.
- Late-night Pizza: Pizza can be ordered for Friday and Saturday nights. Place your order in the hotel lobby before the evening events and pick it up in the Expo when returning to your room at night.
- Parish Dinner: Each parish is encouraged to make plans for Saturday's dinner. If you choose to go out, a restaurant guide and map can be provided. Please make your plans well in advance. The Adams Mark is able to host parish dinners. View their menu for more details. Other groups choose to go to Pearl Street Grille or another local restaurant. Please make your reservations in advance.
- Don't forget: Saturday's lunch and Sunday's brunch are provided for you!
- Participants are welcome to bring food with them to the hotel, as long as no cooking/heating appliances are used.
Manus Christi Award Nominations
Manus Christi Award (Hands of Christ)
The Diocesan Youth Convention is an exceptional opportunity to honor outstanding youth for their dedication and their contributions to their parishes and the community. Presented to seniors in high school, the Manus Christi is awarded to young people who have exemplified Christian leadership in their parish and the diocese.
Each parish is invited and encouraged to submit nominations for the Manus Christi Award. Please note: only parishes (not Catholic high schools) may submit nominations for these awards.
All award recipients are selected by a committee.
Manus Christi Award recipients will be notified prior to the Convention. Nominators will also be notified prior to the Convention.
The deadline for all award nominations is January 18, 2019.
Request a nomination form
Wondering who to nominate or what to write in your nomination? Check out our Manus Christi FAQ!